Monday, May 27, 2013

A lesson on Memorial Day

So today is Memorial, the kick off to summer, large amounts of sales in stores and all sorts of other neat things that go on. However how many people actually know what Memorial Day celebrates? Sure the most common answer seems to be "well to celebrate Veterans of course!" but if that is the case then what is the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans day? Did you even know that there was a difference? I didn't until recently so I figured I would share the knowledge that I learned today. According to an article in the Washington Post both holidays celebrate military members of all branches however Memorial Day focuses on those who members DECEASED where as Veterans Day is to focus on the LIVING. This cleared a lot of things up for me when observing the holiday (viewing different things in the parade, observing and listening to different speeches etc.). Regardless though I still send my thanks and gratitude to all men and women of uniform! Without you we would not have the freedom that we do today! 




No comments:

Post a Comment